In this episode of Modern Gays, we delve into the fabulous world of Bathsheba, one of Melbourne's brightest drag stars. We start with a quickfire challenge, posing fun questions to our guest that reveal interesting insights into her life as a drag queen. Bathsheba shares the origin of her name and how she sees herself as a misunderstood villain, drawing inspiration from characters like Maleficent and Elphaba from Wicked. Throughout the episode, Bathsheba discusses her creative process, including her annual aesthetic refresh, which she likens to a snake shedding its skin. By constantly evolving and staying inspired by the things she reads, watches, and listens to, Bathsheba keeps her performances fresh and engaging for her audience. We even get a sneak peek at her upcoming evolution, which promises to be just as exciting as her previous transformations.
Sign up for our free Gayborhood newsletter and get new episode updates and bonus content!
From gay dating tips, queer AI, drag queens, dealing with jealousy, and building your most vibrant life - we cover it all with special guests too! Subscribe to stay connected and find out about our new podcast episodes first!
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Bathsheba also shares valuable advice for aspiring drag queens, emphasizing the importance of reading the room and adapting their performances to match the audience's energy. She highlights the fatal flaw of many baby queens, who often become overly attached to a particular vision and fail to connect with their audience. The conversation takes a surprising turn as Bathsheba recounts an unexpected experience during an underground dance party performance. We also discuss the future of drag performances in Australia and the potential impact of recent drag bans in the United States. Comparing the drag scenes in Melbourne and Sydney, Bathsheba offers her unique perspective on their differences and the thriving drag culture in Australia. We also explore the complexities of dating in drag and learn about the concept of a "loon," a term Bathsheba uses to describe a specific type of admirer.
Lastly, Bathsheba imparts invaluable advice for baby drag queens, encouraging them to stay true to themselves, hone their craft, and always keep the audience in mind. This engaging episode offers a rare glimpse into the life and creative process of one of Australia's most talented drag performers, making it a must-listen for fans of drag culture and those eager to learn more about the art form.
- [00:00] - Introduction to Melbourne drag star Bathsheba
- [01:00] - Quickfire challenge with Bathsheba: Fun questions and answers
- [03:15] - The origin of the name Bathsheba
- [04:15] - Daniel introduces his drag alter-ego Paris; Bathsheba suggests new names
- [06:15] - Bathsheba discusses her inspiration from misunderstood villains
- [08:00] - Lip syncing and unexpected sounds
- [09:30] - Bathsheba's annual aesthetic refresh and creative process
- [11:00] - Spoiler alert: Bathsheba's upcoming evolution
- [13:15] - The importance of reading the room and adapting as a drag performer
- [15:00] - A shocking experience during an underground dance party performance
- [17:30] - The future of drag performances in Australia
- [20:30] - Comparing Melbourne and Sydney's drag scenes
- [25:00] - Dating in drag and the concept of a "loon"
- [29:30] - Advice for baby drag queens
Connect with Bathsheba:
Follow Bathsheba at @thebathsheba on http://instagram.com/thebathsheba
Catch her live in Melbourne, Australia: (Wednesdays http://instagram.com/moondogabbotsford) (Saturdays http://instagram.com/poofdoof) (http://instagram.com/prideofourfootscray) (Sundays http://instagram.com/osbornesundays)